A kitten makes for an excellent pet. Studies also show that it improves both mental and physical health. However, before you select a kitten for Christmas, you must also consider if this animal works well with your lifestyle. It is important to carefully contemplate your needs and how you live and if you can actually have time to take care of a kitten.
1. You have to ask yourself if you have time to take care of a kitten. Then again, kittens are content to just spend their time alone every day. If you have a demanding schedule, then a kitten may be a perfect and better choice for you.
2. Kittens are easier to socialize and cats tend to be more set in their ways. If you have a lot of time to spend with your new kitten, learn how to train your companion. If you are short of time and you do not have enough patience, then it is better than getting a cat. Just make sure that it is well-mannered and well-behaved.
3. Contemplate why you want a pet. If you want a pet that is strong and has an independent streak and does not require or relish lots of attention, then go for kittens. They are companions who will occasionally cuddle up on the couch with you. The upside to this is that they do not really demand playtime or walks.[ads2 id=”alignright”]
If you are selecting a kitten at a pet shop, here is what you should do.
1. Observe how it interacts with people and other animals. Kittens can socialize but at the same time also fear the adult animals. It depends on their personality. The personality that they have at the pet shop when you observed them is the same personality that they would have when you first bring them home. If you notice that there are signs of fear in the kitten, you have to rehabilitate the fearful pet. If you do not wish to do so, then just get another kitten.
2. Inquire about the animal’s vaccination and health history in order for you to provide the proper veterinary care for your new pet. Long term health conditions shouldn’t necessarily preclude to adopting an animal but you should prepare yourself for extraordinary expenses should you choose to do so
3. Discuss the specific pet you’ve chosen with other family members. Do not decide hastily. To successfully raise a kitten, it is important that all the members like the idea of having a kitten in the first place. Consider how the animal fits into everyone’s lifestyle. A cute kitten may be tempting in the moment of weakness but after a few hours, you
realize that your house cannot even accommodate or train the little pet.
So now that you have decided to buy and adopt a kitten for Christmas, one of the challenges that face you is how can you keep this cute critter hidden before Christmas morning. What you can do is ask the pet store to hold the kitten for you and just get it in time for your child to wake up and see the kitten crawling on his bed. You can also bring your child to the pet store on Christmas Day and ask her to choose a kitten.